Beginnings, Delays, Repairs, and COVID

As the official beginning of my Great Loop trip approaches, I wanted to update everyone on the current status of everything as well as share some of the challenges I have encountered thus far. The whole idea of this trip sounds exciting and fun, but there definitely have been many challenges that have made me question my decision to make this trip at all. Don't worry, I am still going through with the trip, but I think it is important to share more than just the positives that go along with an undertaking of this magnitude. 

I had planned on cruising around the Florida Keys and the Bahamas from early November through mid March. Instead, my boat has been docked almost the entire time while waiting on repairs and maintenance. Both Detroit Diesels and the generator have had to have work done, and are still not fully operational. This trip is much less exciting when you live on a boat that doesn't move for over two months. I am also without a car here, so my radius of activity is also small. To be completely honest, I have been bored and even a little depressed for most of the first part of this stationary journey. I have made several trips back to Austin, which has been nice. It has also been a source of comedy as none of my friends in Austin believe I am not coming back for an extended period now. My "going away" and "welcome back" parties have been numerous! 

I have been fortunate to find a great place to keep my boat while the work is being completed. I am currently staying in what can best be described as a small hippie compound. There is a tiki hut where everyone gathers for dinner and a movie on most nights. I love the people here. Everyone has made me feel at home and like family. It is funny how community finds you when you need it.
Ted's Place


The latest blow to my adventure is the cancelation of the IBTTA Winter Board Meetings in Coral Gables, FL. That was when/where my trip was officially supposed to start, and my first podcast was to take place with Mark Compton, Executive Director of the Pennsylvania Turnpike and outgoing President of IBTTA. We plan on rescheduling that podcast, but it is still disappointing to have yet another delay in this adventure I have planned. 

The lesson I am taking away from all of this is that regardless of what hand you are dealt and what obstacles get in your way, you have to keep moving forward and adjust your plan to achieve your goal. It may not end up looking like you envisioned, but that is part of the adventure.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The End of the Adventure

Boynton Beach to Key West